Thursday, May 31, 2012

Prediction: Rubio Probably Out of Veepstakes




Photobucket


I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that as of this week, Marco Rubio is out of the running to be the Republican Vice Presidential candidate. Why? Because in the past few days some have labeled him "too young" and inexperienced to serve. I think this is rightwing code for "too bad, kid" - we've got someone else in the wings.

Super-Surrogate and Romney's Homey Donald Trump nixed Rubio last week before holding himself forth as the better choice:
On a younger side, you could look at Sen. Rubio, who I think could help with Hispanics. But he is young, and I think he sort of doesn’t want to go through it and doesn’t want to do it. Probably the best choice of all would be Donald Trump.

That alone wouldn't mean much, although it's clear that Trump has sway over the Romney campaign right now with the Birther honeymoon of their dreams in Vegas and all. But now Roberto Gonzales, ex-Attorney General from the George W. administration is echoing the Donald and speaking out against his fellow Latino and - *ouch* - saying he "lacks wisdom":

From CNN's Political Ticker "Gut Check" May 30, 2012
GONZALES: If I were the nominee the person I would look to put on the ticket would be the person I know - they want - could be as president. As I look at the slate of candidates, there are a number of good people from the Republican Party who have more experience (than Marco Rubio) and would be better suited on day one and if you combine that with the principle that I don’t think Hispanics are going to vote for a nominee based upon who is number two on the ticket. I think it behooves Governor Romney to look at other candidates....

KING: But what you’ve said in the past, you’ve just hinted at it in more diplomatic language right now is you don’t think he meets the number one test to be ready to be president, why?

GONZALES: Again he’s extremely talented and I honor his service. But I think the job of president, and I’ve seen it first hand – how hard it can be. And how important it is to have someone with wisdom. Wisdom comes from experience. It comes from living, comes from success, comes from failure. And I think the country needs to have people in positions of leadership who have that level of experience that’s important to serve effectively as president and as vice president.


No comments:

Post a Comment