Wednesday, May 9, 2012

President Obama Endorses Same-Sex Marriage

Photobucket


Today in a major interview on ABC News, President Obama said he is in favor of gay marriage. This comes a day after North Carolina voted to add an amendment to their state constitution defining marriage as a union between one man and one woman, effectively banning gay marriage in that state. The pronouncement also came a few days after Vice President Joe Biden said he was "absolutely comfortable with gay marriage" on MSNBC's Meet the Press.

"I have to tell you that over the course of several years as I have talked to friends and family and neighbors when I think about members of my own staff who are in incredibly committed monogamous relationships, same-sex relationships, who are raising kids together, when I think about those soldiers or airmen or marines or sailors who are out there fighting on my behalf and yet feel constrained, even now that Don't Ask Don't Tell is gone, because they are not able to commit themselves in a marriage, at a certain point I’ve just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same sex couples should be able to get married," he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment